RAC calls for migration system that respects refugees
RAC Vic has made a submission to the Department of Home Affairs review of Australia’s migration system.
RAC’s recommendations include:
- all refugees and asylum-seekers remaining in PNG or Nauru be brought here ASAP
- all amendments to the Migration Act that inserted or further “strengthened” sections 501 and 116 (and closely related provisions) be repealed
- the Migration Act’s Refugee Convention-based definition of “refugee” be extended to cover people forced to leave their country due to the effects of climate change
- all refugees and asylum-seekers who arrive in Australia receive the humanitarian program’s level of support and benefits
- permanent visas be granted ASAP to the following non-citizens: refugees and asylum-seekers denied justice by the unfair “Fast Track” system; all those who were or are detained in Australia, Nauru or PNG; and those on TPVs, SHEVs, and Bridging Visas.