Refugee Action Collective (Vic)

Upcoming Events

‘You are worse than I am’: Trump told Turnbull he admired offshore detention

 

‘YOU ARE WORSE THAN I AM’: TRUMP TOLD TURNBULL HE ADMIRED OFFSHORE DETENTION

The article attached was published in The Guardian Australia. More reason why we need to be outraged and stand up against the government’s cruel, illegal and costly policies.

A brief recap: the Washington Post published the transcript from the January phone-call between Trump and Turnbull, where the former later went on Twitter and called the US deal a “dumb” deal. Turns out calling the deal “dumb” and “stupid” was the least of our worries…

 

PARTICULARLY NOTABLE QUOTES:

– Turnbull explained, repeatedly, that the US was only obligated to look at taking 1,250-2,000 “basically economic refugees from Iran, Pakistan, and Afghanistan”

– “Why haven’t you let them out?” Trump asked. “Why have you not let them into your society?”

“OK,” said Turnbull, “I will explain why. It is not because they are bad people. It is because in order to stop people smugglers, we had to deprive them of the product. So we said if you try to come to Australia by boat, even if we think you are the best person in the world, even if you are a Noble [sic] Prize-winning genius, we will not let you in. Because the problem with the people –”

Trump interjected, to say: “That is a good idea. We should do that too. You are worse than I am.”

JOIN US ON FRIDAY 4 AUGUST, 5:30 AT THE STATE LIBRARY TO STAND UP FOR REFUGEE RIGHTS IN AUSTRALIA

 

Guardian Article: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/03/donald-trump-malcolm-turnbull-refugees-australia-phone-call

Facebook event details: https://www.facebook.com/events/786453751534960/

5:30pm Fri 4 Aug | Manus is not safe: #BringThemHere now: Urgent action

5:30pm Fri 4 Aug | Manus is not safe: #BringThemHere now: Urgent action

When: 5:30pm Friday 4 August

Where: State Library of Victoria

Today (Monday 31 July) both power and water were shut off in the Foxtrot compound on Manus Island, in an attempt to force the refugees to leave the centre.

Two days before, three attacks in twelve hours on refugees shows how unsafe the Manus community is for refugees and why refugees are refusing to move from the detention centre to East Lorengau.

On Saturday night two refugees on Manus were brutally attacked in separate incidents. One had his wrist slashed open with a bush knife. The attacks have reinforced the refugees’ fears for their safety and their lives if they are forced out of the detention centre.

The moves to meet the arbitrary October deadline for “closure” is literally putting refugees’ lives at risk. Not only are refugees vulnerable to attack, there is no adequate medical treatment and insufficient food for those forced into East Lorengau.

It is clear the government has no solution for the people they illegally dumped on Manus. There is nowhere safe for them on the island. Join us to demand tha the refugees and asylum seekers are brought to Australia immediately.

There will be an intersection sit in as part of this action, as a response to the escalating pressure and cruety towards refugees on Manus Island.

call Chris 0403 013 183 for more info

Facebook event here

2pm Sun 8 Oct | Rally for Refugees – Bring Them Here!

2pm Sun 8 Oct | Rally for Refugees – Bring Them Here!

When: 2-4pm Sunday 8th October

Where: State Library of Victoria, 328 Swanston St, Melbourne

RAC’s next major rally calling to Bring Them Here will be Sun Oct 8, 2pm, State Library.

So far, speakers include:

  • Richard di Natale – leader of the Australian Greens
  • Taqi Azra – Hazara refugee and NUW organiser
  • Craig McGregor – Victorian Allied Health Professionals Association
  • David John – teacher from Manus Island

This rally comes in the wake of Dutton’s threatened ‘deadline’ for asylum seekers who have not finalised claims by October 1, and before Manus is supposed to ‘close’ again at the end of October.

Manus ‘closure’ and US deal are still no solution: As the pressure to close the unlawful detention camp on Manus increases, Dutton is desperately looking for a solution. It is possible that some people will be transferred from Manus and Nauru to the US for resettlement. However, the US has only interviewed 300 people on Manus so far and of these only 70 people have had a second interview. 8 months after the deal was proclaimed refugees are still waiting, and the Coalition government has made it clear that regardless of the US resettlement deal hundreds will be left behind. In the last week, US officials have abruptly exited Nauru, throwing further doubt and confusion over the US deal to resettle refugees. Those on Manus who are not transferred to the US are intended to be dumped in the community leaving them defenceless against attacks and robberies. PNG and Nauru are unwilling and unable to permanently resettle refugees, and both are dangerous places for refugees to live.

In June the Australian government agreed to pay $70m in compensation (only around $37,000 per person) to the 1,905 refugees kept on Manus Island. After four years of barbaric treatment and lies, it is an admission that the Australian government is responsible for their illegal imprisonment.

No amount of money can compensate for the damage done, four years of asylum seekers lives have been stolen, Reza Barati was murdered, and scores still bear the physical scars. Hamid Khazaie and Faysal Ahmed were denied appropriate medical care and their lives were lost.

Worse still, the crime for which compensation is being paid is still taking place. There is still no safe and permanet solution for the refugees on Manus. Immigration Minister Peter Dutton is culpable for the continuing abuse, he has lied about ‘fake refugees’, he has lied about the gunfire attacks on Manus on Good Friday. He has to go.

Australia is equally responsible for the false imprisonment and abuse of refugees on Nauru. For real justice, the camps must be closed and the refugees on Manus and Nauru must be brought here to safety.

On the cruel four year anniversary of the reopening of offshore processing, now is the time to step up the calls to Bring Them Here.

Endorsed by:
Australia Asia Worker Links, Australian Refugee Action Network, Australia Services Union Victorian Private Sector Branch, Catholic Office for Justice and Peace, Diaspora Action Australia, Grandmothers Against Detention of Refugee Children,Human Rights Mornington Peninsula, Kommonground Inc., Liberty Victoria, Melbourne Catholic Migrant and Refugee Office, National Tertiary Education Union, National Union of Workers, PaxChristi, People for Human Rights and Equality (PHRE), Queenscliff RAR, Refugee Advocacy Network,  Rural Australians for Refugees

Contact RAC: Chris B 0403 013 183

Facebook event here

Download poster here