Refugee Action Collective (Vic)

2017 Media Releases

MEDIA RELEASE 2/10 | ANOTHER TRAGIC REFUGEE SUICIDE AS DUTTON’S OFFSHORE POLICY CLAIMS ANOTHER VICTIM

Refugee Action Coalition

MEDIA RELEASE

ANOTHER TRAGIC REFUGEE SUICIDE AS DUTTON’S  OFFSHORE POLICY CLAIMS ANOTHER VICTIM

A Tamil refugee was found hanging next to the Lorengau hospital kitchen in the early hours of this morning (Monday, 2 October). His death is the second suicide on Manus in less than two months.

The 32 year-old Tamil man had been sent to the hospital three days ago, after a self-harming incident at the East Lorengau Transit Accommodation centre.

Like, Hamed, and others on Manus, the refugee had been mentally distressed for some time. But there are no facilities on Lorengau to provide proper assistance mentally distressed people.

“He was sent to the hospital but there is no treatment and they neglected him,” one refugee told the Refugee Action Coalition.

His suicide puts the mirage of the promise of US resettlement into stark relief.

“Slowly but surely, Dutton’s policy is killing people on Manus Island. Four years of illegal detention on Manus is taking a terrible toll. The responsibility for this death lies with Peter Dutton and the policy of offshore detention,” said Ian Rintoul, spokesperson for the Refugee Action Coalition.

“Dutton has been given so many warnings. This death is criminal neglect. The evacuation of Manus and Nauru is now a more urgent priority.”

The death has increased the anxiety and distress among all the refugees and asylum seekers on Manus as they struggle with their own circumstances. There are two other extremely mentally distressed people who urgently need assistance.

For more information contact Ian Rintoul 0417 275 713  

MEDIA RELEASE 27/09 | TWENTY-SEVEN REFUGEES LEAVE NAURU FOR THE US

Refugee Action Coalition

MEDIA RELEASE

TWENTY-SEVEN REFUGEES LEAVE NAURU FOR THE US

Tewnty-seven refugees left Nauru this morning bound for Port Moresby, the first leg of a 50-hour long journey to resettled in the USA (link to video clip below) .

The group included families, single men and single women, from a varity of countries including, Bangladesh, Iran, Sri Lanka, Somalia and Burma.

They are being sent to live (some with relatives)  in many different states including, Arizona, Texas, California, Oregan and New York.

One refugee told the Refugee Action Coalition “We are happy to be finally going to the United States, but we are not excited. Our heart and hopes have died on Nauru.”

“People are happy to be going to the USA,” said Ian Rintoul, spokesperson for the Refugee Action Coalition, “But the movement of just 50 people, shows the level of uncertainty that surrounds the deal with the USA.

“It has been 10 months since the refugees had their first interviews, and there is no indication of when any more refugees who have applied, will be accepted into the US.

“There are more than 1700 refugees, including around 150 Rohingyan refugees, on Manus and Nauru who desperately need safety and protection now.
“The refugees were bluntly told by the US officials that theere is no date for more refugees to fly to the US, and that some people will not be accepted.
“The refugees on Manus and Nauru remain the responsibility of the Australian government. The governmewnt should make sure that no one should be left behind. All the people on Manus and nauru shouldbe brought to the mainland while the government makes arragements for those who want to go to the USA.”
Astonishingly, the refugees are expected to pay for their flight to the USA and are being charged $2500. They are expected to pay it back in monthly instalments over two years to establish a “good credit rating.”
For more information contcat Ian Rintoul 0417 275 713

MEDIA RELEASE 20/09| FIRST MANUS REFUGEES TO THE US THIS WEEKEND; NOW, STOP THE FORCED CLOSURE

Refugee Action Coalition
MEDIA RELEASE
FIRST MANUS REFUGEES TO THE US THIS WEEKEND; NOW, STOP THE FORCED CLOSURE

Three Sudanese refugees on Manus Island have been accepted for resettlement in the US. They will fly to Port Moresby this coming weekend and from there to the US two days later.

“This is good news for these refugees who have been ilegally held on Manus for four years,” said Ian Rintoul, spokeseperson for the Refugee Action Coalition, “But uncertainty hangs over the future of the people on Manus. Even if the US deal is met in full, there are not enough places for all those who need protection. The government should immediately halt its moves to forcibly close the Manus detention centre until there is a safe solution for everyone on Manus Island.

“The forced closue and forced transfers are pushing people into unsafe conditions in Port Moresby and East Lorengau, when there are no plans for ensuring they have a secure future.”

The first appontments for Nauru refugees to receive US resettlement answers are scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday, 21 September.
Attached is a photo of Manus refugees checking the detention noticeboard yesterday (Tuesday)

For more information contact Ian Rintoul 0417 275 713